Friday, January 1, 2010

Chuck Town

After Christmas, we decided to make good use of Hubs' time off and head up to Charleston SC. Patrick attended the College of Charleston for 3 years, so it was super neat for him to wander around through his old stompin' grounds and reminisce. He was so cute to watch, so excited, so nostalgic:) ha ha.

The signature building for the C of C campus was under construction and restoration. So we couldn't get a picture of it. Bummer! It is the building seen in Mel Gibson's The Patriot, the scene where they had the big meeting about whether or not to get involved in the war. As a student, Patrick woke up one morning to start his day, and found the street covered in dirt and all the light posts removed as they were getting ready to film. Pretty cool.

Since we couldn't get a good picture of the building, I remembered that Patrick had this picture of him and his Mom when she came to visit him while he was at school, and that it had a great view of the building in the background. So here is Patrick as a young college guy with his Mom. This picture is very special... We miss her and wish she were still with us.

This is one of the offices on campus. Dude. So cute! The whole campus was beautiful!
Wandering around...
We are here.
Accompanying Daddy as he reminisces through the nostalgia.
Beautiful campus. One thing I love about the South are the huge old trees with their strong canopying branches hovering over roads and buildings, or shading a lovely park area...
Go Cougs!
This is Downtown Charleston. The College of Charleston and the ritzy hotel Patrick worked at are located right in the midst of it all. Everything is in walking distance, kinda like a mini New York City. It was all so charming! And this might be an odd thing to say, but itl smelled so good!:) With a knowing smile, almost a chuckle, Patrick said, "Thats just the smell of Chuck Town." Mmmm:)
This is an old vintage theatre downtown.... LOVE it! I also saw another old little theatre from back in the day (camera had died by that time so no pics) which was used in the movie The Notebook. Cool huh. On another related note, working at the fancy hotel Patrick met a bunch of famous people when they would film or work in town, or just passing through... whatever.
This is how I roll these days:) I made Jack's beanie just like the one I made for Patrick for Christmas. I didn't get Jack's done on time for Christmas though. Oh well, the day after is good enough:) He looks so cute in it! I'm making him one every year! What a little stud!:)
Waiting outside for Daddy.
This is Half Moon Outfitters in Downtown Charleston. Hubs bought his first sleeping bag here. I guess you could say his love for the outdoors as a young man started right here. (By the way, for those of you who noticed the dudes t-shirt, which I did not until someone pointed it out. That is an actual player for the Cubs. I thought I might should address that:) ha ha)
Wanted a pic of me and my babies, but this is all we got because a certain adorable but at times challenging little toddler wasn't cooperating. Oh well:)

9 comments:

Jay DePoy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jay DePoy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jay DePoy said...

Is that guy (wearing the #1 Jersey) sending Patrick a message? So much for Southern Hospitality, eh?

The Matthew Family Est. 2005 said...

Woe Woe wo! Is I didn't even notice the shirt! Uh, I take it that isn't a real players name??? Hate that guy. He ruined my picture. Boo:(

Jay DePoy said...

"yeah, he must work out."

The Matthew Family Est. 2005 said...

Oh, Patrick said that IS a real player, for the CUBS:) Whew!:)

Jay DePoy said...

Bummer of a last name. You know the dude got crazy teased in middle school!

The Matthew Family Est. 2005 said...

I'm sure it hasn't stopped either:) ha ha

Mary Beth Johnston said...

Hello Lucy,

My name is Mary Beth and Patrick was good friends with my brother Chris and I when he went to LU and then when he moved here to Charleston. Wish he would have called us - we still have some of his stuff here in our garage - we have been saving it for him - some of his old Bibles, H.S. diploma, etc. Please tell him to get in touch! We would love to meet your beautiful family:) You can have him e-mail me at poohjohnston@juno.com.