Friday, December 4, 2009

Just A Box

Kids love playing in boxes right. So I decided to get one from Lowes and fix it up with some craft paint, paper and crafty things I had in my stash. No big deal. DID NOT realize it would turn into this. It happened when I started looking online for some ideas.... Found a blog about an actual play house this Lady and her husband had made for their daughter. They showed it all set up in the back yard and CHARMED my little girl socks off! Filled to the max with inspiration, it was on. One million sticks of hot glue, several late nights, and a few strips of velcro later. An ordinary refrigerator box turned into.... THIS!
The ceiling is my favorite feature. LOVE it:) Inspired by the movie "The Holiday" in the scene where Cameron and Jude are under the fort with the little girls. Best scene ever! SOoo cute!
Looking up from inside. So magical:) ha ha. Ceiling was painted white. Then I taped white stran of Christmas lights all over it. Then I hot glued the sheer lace curtain over it all for some sweet girly lighting.
Glittered the stars and hearts and strung them up for extra charm and girl-y-ness.
Porch light is a concoction of popsicle sticks, and the top of a V8 gallon bottle of juice, with a bell from Michaels, some ribbon and craft paint. Oh and a bolt and nut...
Door knob: used some cheap condiment containers from Walmart, a hole, bolt and nut, and a couple buttons. Covered the door in paper and painted with red craft paint.
The view looking in from above. I used White craft paint on the walls and ceiling. Then I put up the "wall paper" (drawer liners from Ross). Then I painted half the other wall a cream/yellow color and used a grey crayon to draw on the faux wainscoating, using white paper as the chair rail.
Painted the floor of the box brown. Rug from Ross. Pillow from Ross covered in part of a pink body pillow cover from WalMart. Used part of the pink body pillow for the curtains too. Mirror from Michaels. I added paint and embelishments.
The adorable tea set she got as a present when she came to see me at the hospital when Jack was born. I glued a piece of the curtain that I used on the ceiling to the table for a table cloth.
View of the door side of the house. Used piece of the curtain that I used on the ceailing for the curtain on the door window.
This is the stove. Made from a box that came in the mail. Inside the cupboard I installed a shelf for her to keep her pots and pans and play food on. Lined the inside with cute paper.
This is the little birdy that lives up in the ceiling corner of her house. Charming little find at the dollar store.
Glitter stars and hearts hanging from the ceiling.
Little chalk board from Micheals with some random buttons slapped around it. Love me some buttons! Also made a holder form her chalk.
Paper clock with some scrapbook embellishments. It is set to the time she was born in this picture:)
She loves to sit on her little metal stool and write on her chalkboard or "have tea" at her table.
Every little house needs a mail box:) Made this from a regular little cheap brown craft box from WalMart.
Armoire/Table, to set her tea set on and to store her dress up stuff.
The Stove. Yeah scrapbook embellishments.
She was trying to fit into her table/armoire.
Painting the inside of an ordinary refridgerator box that would transform into a charming little play house.So, there you have it. It was sooo much fun to make! Kate loves it!:) At one point during the obsessive creating, Hubs teased me, "You know this is for YOU, right?" I smiled and said, "Yeah, but Kate will have fun too." And she sure does:)

1 comment:

Michelle's Day said...

Lucy, I'm amazed at your creativity!!! Kate will someday show these pictures to her friends, and they'll all be SO very jealous that they never had one (just like I am right now)!