Friday, October 23, 2009

Potty Talk

We have been potty training all this week. Still have a few kinks to work out, but otherwise she is doing GREAT! And we are so PROUD of her!!! TEE HEE HEE!!!:)

The other night, I woke up in the middle of the night, and urgently proceeded to asked Hubs, "Honey! Do you need to potty??? Do you NEED to potty???" Annnnd back to sleep. Ha ha ha! :)

I started training her on Saturday of last week. By noonish that day, I was sooooo OVER it! It was NOT going well! I put a diaper on her and called for backup, that being Hubs to have him pick up a book from the store that my Aunt Norine recommended, which she used to potty train all 13 (yes THIRTEEN) of her children. "Toilet Training in Less Than a Day" by Nathan Azrin.

I enthusiastically got to reading the rest of the afternoon and evening, and picked up the necessary supplies at the store in order to start over with a whole new method the next morning, hoping I hadn't done to much damage the day before.

The next morning, Sunday, we opted to stay home from church to conquer the potty thing. Hubs took Jack to Jacksonville to kill some time at Costco, so that I could focus on Kate with no distractions for a few hours.

In only about 5 hours she was trained! Meaning, that she knew everything about pottying and could initiate and go on her own. All thanks to the MIRACLE book!!! I was doing it all wrong on Saturday! I did what the book said and she got it like that (snap fingers)! I even caught her going by herself and spied on her to see what she would do. I was so so so excited! She's such a big girl!!

We started out on the little potty chair, but after a little bit she decided she wanted to go on the big potty with her Elmo potty seat. I let her do that once and then took the Elmo seat away because it was not stable. Now she uses the potty chair as a step stool and goes right on the big potty. I figure she's to big to drown if she falls in. Ha ha! Plus, less mess and clean up too.

She totally knows the deal about going on the potty and goes on her own a lot, but she still sometimes has an accident (the kinks). I am encouraged that most of the ones that do happen seem to be in the bathroom by the toilet, like she wasn't quite able to get her "pannies" down and get up there on time but she was trying... Only very few seem to be legitimate accidents.

Either way we have to "practice" and she HATES to practice. Throws the biggest tantrum, but I don't care. She can't think that she can get away with it or that will open a whole new can of worms. She has woken up DRY from naps and in the morning several times already. Only had a few of those to clean up, initially.

She gets candies for being dry, and a BIIIIIG candy for going on the potty, and stickers, and lots of "ba ba's" (bottles). She doesn't normally get bottles unless she is sick because it is the only way I can get her to suck down the liquids. So she gets them now so that she will have the urge to go more and therefore more training.

I make sure to tell her that Mommy, Daddy, Grandma, Aunt Jaime, Uncle Shaun, Zoe, Elmo, Telly.... all have DRY pannies and go on the potty, and she's a big girl like them! :)

Apparently Dolly needed to potty. This is a Baby Alive doll that pee-pees. I used it to teach her to go potty. $20 at WalMart and worth EVERY PENNY!
We had to get outside and play a little bit, but stayed close to home just incase:) She's doing awesome! So proud of her!!!!:) Now I just go about my business STRESS FREE and let her do her thing. Such a wonderful, happy, stress free way to potty train! Thanks Aunt Norine. To those of you who are actually still reading, thanks for enduring all this POTTY TALK. Ha!:)