Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Kate's Room...

This is Kate's room. I loved putting it together! My theme was vintage nostalgia. I love anything from the Dick & Jane era, or anything I had when I was a kid... The view into her room from the door... I was looking all over for a crib set that I liked, but couldn't find one, because I already had in mind the type or idea of what I was looking for. So, I decided to just make it. I made her crib set, curtains, changing pad cover, chair cover, toddler/throw quilt, pillow, diaper holder, mobile... It took alot of time, but it was materially cheaper and fun:) Now she can have it when she has babies and know that her mother and grandma (my Mom helped with all the quilting) made it for her. I think that's pretty cool.
The view of the wall to the right when you walk in the room... What a blessing how the room came together from stuff we already had, to great deals at garage sales, to stuff that was given to us, and stuff we were able to purchase.
Cute little rocking chair. Draped over it is the baby blanket that goes with Kate's crib set. As crib blankets go, she hasn't even really used it much... The lamb Patrick got for me when we were dating. Story about Lambs: When I was a baby my mom collected lambs for me, and I was her "Lucy Lamb" (everybody go "aaawe"). My Dad brought me a plush lamb that wound up and played "Mary Had A Little Lamb"... I still have that lamb, though it doesn't really work anymore, and it has bright pink eyes, scarey...
Virtually every mobile out there plays "Brahms Lullaby", but I had my heart set on one that played "Rock-a-bye Baby" (even though the song is a little disturbing when you actually pay attention to the words...) I found it at Burlington! However it was a boy mobile with a truck theme. So, I took off the boy stuff, then put the matching ones I had sewn on...
Diaper staker... I keep her cloth diapers in it.
I was hoping this would be a close up of the stiching and material... This is the toddler/throw blanket and throw pillow on the chair that I recoverd the cushions to.
I love Dick and Jane! Searched high and low to find this and had it framed. It is a page from a "Big Book". Teachers used them back in the day in front of the class as the boys and girls read along in their own readers. I love the how it also has a tricycle, raggedy doll, and red wagon in it! Plus, it is two sided since it is like a "book page". I won't ever see the other side, unless we take the framing apart, but I don't care. I had it framed so as not to damage the either side...OK bla bla bla bla....
Ahh, the story of "The Three Bears", classic... learned it as a kid after being told it so many times. It's one of those that you don't mind being told over and over again before bed even though you already know the story. It's one of the ones you help tell, and take with you into adulthood to tell your little ones...
I made Raggedy Anne & Andy. They started out as a Christmas project. I was going to sit them back to back to block the air coming in from under the door, but they ended up in Kate's room. I would like to make her a smaller doll size set one day...
Almost all of these Cabage Patch Dolls were mine when I was a kid. Now they are hers. Some books above and a mini red wagon. You don't see this, but just above there are a bunch of Little Golden Books on her shelf too. Love "The Pokey Little Pupppy". Just more nastolgia from when I was little...
I love Psalm 139. So perfect for baby too...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is obvious that Patrick helped out a great deal.

Raychel said...

I love your whole set!! I can't believe you made all that... I wish I had your talant!